Caravan & Camper Trailer Hire Terms & Conditions
Per Day Hire
Caravans/camper trailers/vehicles are hired on a per day basis. Per day hire includes both the ‘pick-up’ (collection) day AND the ‘drop-off’ (return) day. Caravans/camper trailers/vehicles can be picked up or dropped off by the Hirer from Great Rates Australia, between 8.30am and 4.30pm, from Monday to Friday (excluding Public Holidays).
Late pickup or early return does not entitle the Hirer to a refund of the unused portion of the rental day.
After hours or non-business day returns can be arranged. A fee of $200.00 will apply.
Minimum hire periods are:
- Peak, seven (7) days
- Shoulder/Off-Peak, four (4) days
If the Hirer wishes to extend the rental hire during the hire period, they must first obtain approval from Great Rates Australia giving at least three (3) business days’ notice.
Any approval for extension is subject to availability. The rate applied to the extension shall not necessarily be the rate originally charged. Failure to obtain an approval for an extension will result in a late fee of $200 per day for any additional day or part of until the caravan/camper trailer/vehicle is returned.
A deposit of 25% of the total hire cost is payable at the time of booking confirmation. Please note: the minimum deposit amount is $250.00
The balance of the total hire cost is to be paid at time of pick-up. We accept cash, Visa and Mastercard. Cheques will be accepted if the payment is received two (2) weeks prior to pick-up date.
Christmas/New Year (22 December to 29 January) and Easter (hire period commences within the 4 days prior to Good Friday).
The balance of the total hire cost is to be paid six (6) weeks prior to date of pick up.
If a hire booking is cancelled, a cancellation fee will apply as follows:
- If cancelled more than 28 days (4 weeks) prior to pick up – your deposit will be refunded in full less an administration fee of $50.00.
- If cancelled 27 days or less prior to pick-up you will be required to forfeit your deposit.
Should your booking commence in the Christmas/New Year period (22 December to 29 January) or Easter (hire period commences within the 4 days prior to Good Friday), a cancellation fee will apply as follows:
- If cancelled more than 42 days (6 weeks) prior to pick up – your deposit will be refunded in full less an administration fee of $50.00.
- If cancelled 42 days (6 weeks) or less before pick-up you will be required to forfeit your deposit.
If a caravan/camper trailer/vehicle is returned early for any reason whatsoever, no refund shall be given.
At the time of caravan/camper trailer/vehicle collection, a Security Bond payment of $650.00 is required, to cover:
- liability by the Hirer as a result of any damage deemed to be mischievously caused by the Hirer
- relevant, non-claimable, uninsurable events, repairs or replacement
- additional cleaning that is deemed to be required by Great Rates Australia including emptying of toilet canister (Starcraft caravans).
- refuelling of gas bottle(s) / Jeep.
- the caravan/camper/vehicle not being returned to the correct location and on time.
- any after hours call out.
- damaged loaned driving mirrors
- a $120.00 administrative fee to process a Statutory Declaration should a ‘Non Payment of Toll Fees’ notice or Traffic Expiation Notice be received by Great Rates Australia.
The Security Bond will be held for a period of up to 4 weeks following the return of the caravan/camper trailer/vehicle and the refund will be returned as a cheque via Australia Post.
The Hirer is liable for any damage incurred, outside of acceptable and reasonable wear and tear, to the caravan/camper trailer/vehicle whilst on hire. If required, adjustment will be made against the Hirer’s Security Bond.
Tyres, punctured, shredded or blown, are to be replaced at the Hirer’s cost, with a new tyre of the same load rating, prior to dropping off the caravan/camper trailer/vehicle.
Vinyl flooring is easily damaged when goods are stored on the floor or, gravel is taken inside on the soles of shoes.
All of the Hirer’s goods which are stored in the caravan/camper trailer/vehicle must be secured to prevent sliding and tilting, which may cause damage to interior surfaces, fittings or flooring.
Any items found by the Hirer to be broken or faulty can be replaced by the Hirer during the hire period, and Great Rates Australia will reimburse the Hirer up to $50.00, without authority. Globes, elements and the like can be repaired or replaced by the Hirer without authority. Relevant purchase receipts need to be produced by the Hirer.
- The customer will have to pay a liability in respect to any damage incurred whilst in the Hirer’s possession.
- The liability may be reduced by taking out Liability Reduction coverage
- Any liability reduction is voided if the hirer breaches any Terms and Conditions of this Agreement.
|Liability excess reduction||Cost per day|
Accidents and Breakdowns
Should an accident or breakdown occur, the Hirer must notify Great Rates Australia as soon as possible.
It is the Hirer’s responsibility to get the caravan/camper trailer/vehicle to a safe place whilst repairs are carried out on the caravan/camper trailer/vehicle.
We strongly advise all Hirers to take out ‘RAA Premium’ motoring insurance cover (or similar) to minimize unforeseen out of pocket expenses. eg, towing, alternative accommodation or transport
Any incident of the sort that should normally be reported to the local police, shall be duly reported by the Hirer; and a Police Report obtained. The Hirer shall obtain all particulars of any other vehicle, driver or malicious damage or theft for the report.
NOTE: Failure to comply with reporting requirement may result in an uninsurable incident. In which case, the Hirer agrees to bear ALL relevant repair costs.
If a relevant incident is not reported to Police by a Hirer, and a Great Rates Australia representative is required to attend a Police Station to report that incident, a $100.00 administration fee will be charged to the Hirer.
Condition of caravan/camper trailer/vehicle at pick-up and drop-off
The Hirer acknowledges having received the caravan/camper trailer/vehicle in a clean condition, with a full bottle of LP gas / full tank of fuel (Jeep).
The Hirer will return the caravan/camper trailer/vehicle on the agreed drop off date, in a clean condition, and with a full bottle of LP gas. Failure to return the caravan/camper trailer with a full bottle of gas will result in an additional charge of $30.00.
The caravan/camper trailer/vehicle is to be dropped off in a clean and tidy condition; with the fridge emptied, cleaned and defrosted and toilet canister emptied (Starcraft). If Great Rates Australia deems that extra cleaning is required after a hire caravan/camper trailer/vehicle is returned, the cost of this will be deducted from the Security Bond.
If Great Rates Australia is served with a ‘Non Payment of Toll Fees’ notice as result of Hirer’s non-payment, or Traffic Expiation Notice for which Great Rates has to process a Statutory Declaration, a $120.00 administration fee will be charged to that Hirer.
Cigarette, pipe or cigar smoking is not permitted inside caravans/camper trailers/vehicles.
Pets are not permitted inside caravans/camper trailers/vehicles.
The Hirer and/or driver must be over the age of 25 years and hold a current full, unencumbered, driver’s license issued in Australia or valid International Drivers Licence, or endorsement. The Hirer and/or driver must hold full comprehensive insurance cover for their own towing vehicle.
The Hirer and/or driver must ensure the towing vehicle is registered according to State laws.
The Hirer and/or driver agrees not to tow the caravan/camper trailer/vehicle whilst under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
The Hirer and/or driver must obey all State and National road laws. Failure to comply with this road restriction requirement will void ANY insurance claim, in which case, the Hirer will be responsible for any damage or costs (whatever they may be) throughout the entire term of the rental agreement.
The Hirer and/or driver must not of have been refused any motor vehicle insurance in the past 3 years.
No caravan/camper trailer/vehicle will be hired to any international tourists/visitors unless they have a credit card (and not a debit card); and they pay all hire costs at least 21 days in advance of pick-up. (Cheques are not accepted)
An additional $1,000.00 security Bond (plus the standard $650.00 amount) is payable at the time of pick-up.
Proof of a return airline tickets in and out of Australia must be supplied at the time of pick-up.
A copy will be taken of the Hirer’s driver’s license, passport and credit card.
Compliant Towing Vehicle
The vehicle being used to tow the hired caravan/camper trailer, must be legally road-worthy, registered and able to safely tow the required caravan/camper trailer.
NOTE: Use of non-compliant tow vehicles will void ANY insurance claim. In which case, the Hirer will be responsible for the costs of ALL damage, whatever it is.
Electric Braking System
All tow vehicles must have a compliant electric (towing) braking system.
All our caravans/camper trailers have a standard 7 pin round plug.
Vehicle Load Ratings
Specifications vary from vehicle to vehicle; and between different towbar manufacturers.
NOTE: Please compare the ‘towball weight’ and ‘loading weights’ information from the towing vehicle’s Manufacturer handbook specifications with the appropriate information for each Caravan/Camper Trailer on the Great Rates Australia website.
We cannot and will not hire to the owner of a towing vehicle that does not comply. We can assist with loading techniques, but the ultimate responsibility rests with the Hirer.
The Hirer acknowledges that Great Rates Australia may refuse any rental, terminate this Agreement and/or repossess the caravan/camper trailer/vehicle (and for that purpose enter upon any premises and remove the caravan/camper trailer/vehicle) at any time, without notification to the Hirer, and that the Hirer will pay the reasonable costs of repossessing the caravan/camper trailer/vehicle, including towing charges if:
- the Hirer is in breach of any material term of these Terms and Conditions
- the Hirer has obtained the caravan/camper trailer/vehicle through fraud or misrepresentation
- the caravan/camper trailer/vehicle appears to be abandoned
- the caravan/camper trailer/vehicle is not returned on the agreed return date or Great Rates Australia reasonably believe that the caravan/camper trailer/vehicle will not be returned on the agreed return rate, or
- Great Rates Australia considers, on reasonable grounds, that the safety of the passengers or the condition of the caravan/camper trailer/vehicle is endangered
The Hirer releases Great Rates Australia, its employees and agents, from any liability to the Hirer (regardless of who is at fault), for any loss or damage incurred by the Hirer by reason of rental, possession or use of the caravan/camper trailer/vehicle.
The Hirer hereby indemnifies and shall keep indemnified Great Rates Australia, its employees and agents, against any claims demands and expenses (including legal costs) incurred or sustained by them or any of them by reason of the Hirers use and/or possession of the caravan/camper trailer/vehicle.
Road restrictions apply as follows:
- Caravans/Camper Trailers/Vehicles MUST NOT be towed on any unsealed road (being a road not sealed with a hard material such as tar, bitumen, or concrete). Off road conditions include, but are not limited to: fire trails, beaches, sand, tracks, fields, or paddocks. The only exception to this is reasonable use of access roads limited to a maximum of two (2) kilometres in length to recognised commercial camp grounds.
- NOTE: Failure to comply with this road restriction requirement will void ANY insurance claim. In which case, the Hirer will be responsible for the costs of ALL damage, whatever it is.
Retractable awnings are not insurable. If damaged, the total responsibility for all repairs/replacement, including any associated damage, lays with the Hirer. The total cost of all repairs, outside the bond, is to be paid by the Hirer.
Specific, uninsurable events
The Hirer has unlimited liability for repairs or replacement in the event of the following:
- Damage whilst towing the caravan/camper trailer/vehicle on unsealed roads (noted previously in these Hire Terms)
- Incidents not reported to Police, as required by law (noted previously in these Hire Terms)
- Use of non-roadworthy tow vehicle (noted previously in these Hire Terms)
- Damage caused by trees
- Overhead damage
- Underbody damage
- Malicious or negligent damage caused by the Hirer
- Damage caused by an unknown third party
- Damaged loaned driving mirrors